Tuesday, April 28

may love it...inleaf!





so i can't remember how i met lotta helleberg of inleaf but i am so glad that i did as she has been a staple in o'suz for years now. first of all, she is local to us which we love, and secondly, she is originally from sweden, which we also love, as so so many beautiful designs and designers come out of sweden. we have been selling lotta's sachets for quite a while now but lotta has also made me a few special pieces that i was able to surprise and spoil my staff and my friend jocelyn with this past xmas. (of course i also kept one) this clutch, which is beautifully lined, holds my camera and my ipod. i know, why electronics you ask, but i have to keep them safe and put them somewhere pretty at the same time and what better place then here:


here are a few words with the lovely lady herself:



what was your first job and how did you end up sewing and printing with botanicals?

My very first job was potato picking on my friend’s farm in Sweden, when I was 12. It was much more fun than it seems. For most of my adult life I worked as a graphic designer, creating print materials, logos, and websites. A magazine article about leaf printing inspired some experimentation, which soon led to my new art form. Botanical printing is the perfect way to combine my graphic skills with my love for gardening and sewing.

what is your favorite piece/group/series in your work?

I love my new queen ann’s seedpod prints. This is one of my first screenprinting attempts. The original images were handprinted with pressed seedpods on paper, which then were scanned and arranged digitally, to be used for the screens. So far the design has made it onto tea towels and hanging sachets. Pillows, totes, and wall art are to come.




who or what inspires you?

There are so many things that make my heart sing, starting with nature and plants. Nowadays I can’t take a walk without examining at how things grow, what different leaves look like, and how seeds and flowers are shaped. Everything is a potential printing plate. I am obsessed with fabric and textiles, especially vintage cloths and natural materials such as linen and hemp. My Scandinavian heritage also has a huge influence on my work. I adore simple, clean, and utilitarian design.

what three websites do you visit daily?

I don’t always have time for daily web visits, but here are three blogs that I could not live without:


describe your ideal sunday.

Sleeping in (which for us means trying to get the dogs to stay put until 7:30 or so…), lazy breakfast with lots of coffee and the Washington Post, maybe an early morning garden stroll. Later in the day we would go for a dog walk, watch my younger son play soccer, and I would do a few garden chores. A bit of work would sneak in as well (it is a hard to stay away from the studio) and the day would end with a big family meal on the patio.

what do you see outside your studio windows?

Right now there are lingering dogwood blossoms, sunlight, and lots of fresh greenery.


we have these sachets and the hanging sachets in the shop now in lots of colors. we think they make a perfect mother's day gift.

No comments: