Sunday, February 1

february love it...jenna rose

so we love, love, love jenna rose. she is one of the newest artists to find a home in o'suzannah, hailing all the way from hamilton, ontario. jenna greenberg, designer and creator of jenna rose, was kind enough to answer our humble interview questions ages ago when we first brought her in the shop. unfortunately we have taken an uncharacteristically long time in getting the interview up here, but let it be known, this is no reflection on her goods! sometimes life just grants many of us full plates, and that is our excuse. please check out her site and look for new spring stuff down the road.


when the big box of jenna rose goodies arrived in the store we were all a little googley-eyed by its awesomeness. it is always exciting when something is EVEN COOLER than you anticipated, and that's the experience we had with jenna rose. all of jenna's wares are carefully crafted and hand printed in her studio. we all wanted one of everything, but thus far i've managed to save some for y'all and have only snagged a hat.


i have a bit of a testimonial to offer about the hats, which we have in brown wool with the basswood print and black wool with the granville print. i do not wear hats, um, ever. i often forgo warmth because i am so against seeing myself in a hat, but i *love* this baby. it's a great shape and flatters the most hat-phobic of heads, and it's lined with cozy flannel to keep you snug.


i'm going to let you in on a little secret about suzannah -- she is one sneaky lady, that one. she is always finding ways to get us extra special treats from our artists, things that we don't have in the store and often send us into literal fits of excitement. this christmas aaron and i were gifted our own jenna rose organic cotton blankies. these are so, so soft and are hand printed with jenna's designs along the bottom. we have a few of these in the shop now, as well, and i think they'd make amazing wedding or housewarming gifts.


we have a few other items from jenna rose, including belts and the storage baskets suzannah mentioned in her holiday faves. for now i'll leave you with jenna's glimpse into her world, but please come check out these goodies in the shop! (and thanks to jenna for her patience as we got back into the blogging groove!)

what was your first job and how did you end up working with textiles?

The first job I had that really affected my career choice was working in my mom's quilt shop my last year of high school. Sewing and art was always a prominent part of my life growing up. Working in the quilt shop and being surrounded by patterned textiles helped me make the decision that I wanted to study textiles. I went to the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design for four years and studied Textiles and Fashion. I started
Jenna Rose only few months after graduating in the Spring of 2006.

what is your favorite piece/group/series in your work?

My collection changes every season and each time I seem to like the newest one more than the last. For example, right now I am loving the cuckoo clocks print and the organic cotton blankets.


who or what inspires you?

I never know when I will be inspired or by what. I'm drawn to old objects and unique environments within my everyday surroundings. I often find inspiration for my prints while walking my dog, whether we're in the city or out in the woods. As for people, my mom has inspired me the most. She was the one who introduced me to textiles and sewing, and having started her own business, gave me confidence to start my own.

what three websites do you visit daily?

Although not daily, I weekly visit Design Sponge, Decor8, and Etsy.

describe your ideal sunday.

My ideal Sunday would be spent with my fiance and dog. We would lounge in the morning with coffee and a fire. We would walk to Locke Street for breakfast and pop into the antique shops on our way home. Depending on the season, we would either go for a long hike or cross-country ski in the afternoon. The day would finish with a nice meal and a good movie.


what do you see outside your studio windows?


I overlook a row of shops and restaurants, including my weekly falafel lunch place and the best dim sum in the city.

No comments: